Howell, 39, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new for me'

Howell, 39, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new for me'

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. This weeks RSM Classic is Charles Howell IIIs 529th PGA Tour start. Hes made 410 cuts, won twice and earned over $1 million every year for 18 consecutive seasons. Despite all that, hes looking to embrace something new this weekend at Sea Island Resort.I've almost done everything in my career, but playing with a lead isn't one thing I've really done a whole lot of, Howell said. I could talk to you about finishing second or third a lot. As many golf tournaments as I've played, this is still relatively new for me, which is kind of surprising at almost 40 years old that that would be something new.Howell takes a three-stroke lead into the weekend at Sea Island Resort following back-to-back rounds of 64 that included what he called the best ball-striking rounds of his career. But his lingering inexperience when it comes to closing out leads is still in the back of his mind.
Full-field scores from the RSM ClassicRSM Classic: Articles, photos and videos
I don't really get nervous. Sometimes I'll jump ahead of myself and get a bit excited or try too hard at times, said Howell, who has the outright lead for the first time since 2003. Different golfers have found certain ways of dealing with them better. Like a Tiger Woods throughout his career or any guy that's won a lot, Davis Love here, right, he's won [21] times, they found a way how to deal with that and keep getting the best out of themselves when they're slightly uncomfortable.Howell said hes been working with his swing coach Grant Waite to improve his performances in stressful situations. One thing they've focused on in particularis spending less time on the range practicing his game and more time on the course playing.There's a time for the driving range when it comes to practice, your mechanical work and whatnot, but there's also a time to get on the golf course and try to transfer it somehow because this is ultimately where we're judged, Howell said.


As many golf tournaments as I've played, this is still relatively new for me." This is the eighth 36-hole lead of Howell's career, and first since 2010. He's never won when leading after
Charles Howell III keeps lead at RSM Classic - africa.espn.com


"I've almost done everything in my career, but playing with a lead isn't one thing I've really done a whole lot of," he told reporters. "I could talk to you about finishing second or third a lot. As many golf tournaments as I've played, this is still relatively new for me, which is kind of surprising at almost 40 years old," he


Howell, 39, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new for me' which is kind of surprising at almost 40 years old that that would be something new." Howell takes a three-stroke lead
Howell, 40, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new


Howell, 40, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new for me' Source: The Golf Channel ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. - This week's RSM Classic is Charles Howell III's 529th PGA Tour start. He's made 410 cuts, won twice and earned over $1 million every year for 18 consecutive seasons.
Golf Channel - Charles Howell III has made a million


Previous Post Previous Howell, 39, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new for me' Next Post Next A. Jutanguarn cleans up at LPGA Rolex Awards .
Howell III holds 36-hole lead at The RSM Classic - pgatour.com

Howell, 39, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new


Howell has two PGA Tour victories in nearly 20 years, and yet the weekend feels like a new experience to him. This is only the fifth time he's had the 36-hole lead, and the first time since the
PGA: Charles Howell III is in rare position for a PGA victory


"I've almost done everything in my career, but playing with a lead isn't one thing I've really done a whole lot," Howell said. "I could talk to you about finishing second or third a lot. As many golf tournaments as I've played, this is still relatively new for me, which is kind of surprising at almost 40 years old."
Charles Howell III keeps lead at RSM Classic - espn.com


ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. — Charles Howell III is playing some of his best golf when he least expected it. Coming from a missed cut in Mexico to a tournament where he missed the cut last year
Howell III takes 3-shot lead at The RSM Classic - pgatour.com


Charles Howell III, 40, embraces playing with lead: 'Still relatively new for me' Despite 529 PGA Tour starts, 410 made cuts and two wins, Charles Howell III is looking to embrace something new this weekend at Sea Island Resort.
Woods: 'I've been in Phil's head for 20-some-odd years


As many golf tournaments as I've played, this is still relatively new for me, which is kind of surprising at almost 40 years old." Howell says one problem he has battled is thinking too far ahead
Howell extends his lead at RSM Classic with flawless round

Post a Comment

0 Comments